March 19, 2014

Vegan and Flourless Peanut Butter Fudge Bars

Pin It!
Remember these cookies?

I loved them so much, I made them into bars.  And I doubled the chocolate.


You are welcome.

 
 
I've been a major peanut butter and chocolate kick recently.  I think it is all I have been eating.

Oh yeah, there is spinach too, but chocolate and peanut butter have taken over.

If you have to ask why, then go and bake a batch of these and then we can talk. 

Good deal?
 


 
I made my Healthy Reese's Fudge which was arguably much healthier than an actual Reese's, but it still wasn't quite what I wanted in a "creatively healthy" chocolate peanut butter dessert.  Ever since I made those aforementioned peanut butter cookies from chickpeas (and had success!) I couldn't get them out of my mind. 

Beans + peanut butter + sweetener = shockingly good.

So this time, I added a couple tablespoons of cocoa powder and spread a dairy-free-from-scratch-chocolate on top.  Peanut butter fudge cookie bars meets super smooth chocolate.

I'm good at this pairing up thing, huh?

 
 
 
 
Speaking of cocoa powder, I about had withdrawals the other day.  Since I can't have regular chocolate chips, I've been using cocoa powder and sweetener all.the.time.  I told one of my friends I eat 1/2 cup a day.  That might be an exaggeration, but only slightly. 
 
When I got out my cocoa powder container and had to bang it on the counter to get the last teaspoon out (note: don't try this at home - cocoa powder blows everywhere!) it ranked as one of my top cooking crisis's.  I live, sleep, breathe chocolate (NOT cocoa powder, already tried that.  Doesn't work) and besides, peanut butter needs a friend.
 
My awesome Dad went to the store and bought me a can of cocoa powder. 
 
{He's pretty awesome.  He doesn't even like chocolate.}

 
 
 
My cocoa powder is well loved and is used twice in this recipe.  First, in the base, but the dominant flavor is still peanut butter.  Don't worry, there are undertones of cocoa throughout every bite.
 
And then there is my favorite part!  That topping tastes like I melted chocolate chips and poured it over the top.  But it is only coconut oil, honey, and (yep) cocoa powder.
 
Are you mind blown?  I still am!  I think it is the coolest thing!  Because of the coconut oil, it solidifies at room temp and becomes like a slab of chocolate.  On top of a slab of peanut butter fudge bar.  You can store these at room temp, but I highly recommend refrigerating them.  It guarantees that the peanut butter layer stays moist and fudgy and the top layer remains smooth and firm. 
 
Please believe me when I tell you that this doesn't taste like beans.  It tastes like peanut butter and chocolate fudge.  You do bake the base, but it remains so fudgy that we can safely call it fudge.  The beans and peanut butter combine to create a filling and satisfying dessert that tastes like dessert!
 
 
 

Vegan and Flourless Peanut Butter Fudge Bars
Recipe Source: The Sweet {Tooth} Life
Yield: 12-16 servings

Peanut Butter Bars:
1 can (15.25) fully cooked chickpeas
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup honey *maple syrup for strict vegans*
1/4 teaspoon each, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
2 tablespoons cocoa powder

Chocolate Topping:
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons honey

Preheat oven to 350.
Rinse chickpeas in cold water.
Blend in a food processor until mostly smooth.
Add honey and blend again.
Add peanut butter and pulse a few times.  Don't blend too much or your peanut butter will seize up.
Remove blade and stir in baking powder, soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
Spread into a lightly greased 9x9 pan.
Bake for 12-14 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Let cool.

Related Recipes:

Vegan Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

 
 
 
 
 
This post might be linked up at any of these parties.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Your comments make my day!

DMCA.com Protection