February 12, 2014

The Easiest and Best Sopapilla Cheesecake

Pin It!
This sopapilla cheesecake has become a McNellis right of passage.  Thanks to packaged crescent rolls and the simplest cheesecake filling, these are a cinch to make.  I think most of us could make this in our sleep. 

 
We as a family have done some crazy things in our sleep!  After age eight, none of us have had any issues sleep walking, but when some of us were younger, well, let's just say we were good at it.
 
~One of us walked out of the house and began down the driveway at about 10:30 one night.  He didn't remember a thing in the morning.  Believe me, my parents sure did!
 
~Another person (all will go unnamed to protect pride) walked around the house and slept on the couch or the stairs or the floor for a couple hours at a time before finding a new place - all while asleep.  The night owls in our family never knew where we would find her next.  That thankfully only lasted two years. 
 
~That same person ended up right next to my bed one night and I was jolted awake by this shuffling noise right underneath me.  I was absolutely terrified.  I didn't know who it was, or even what it was, and I didn't want to find out.  It is amazing how scary my imagination can be early in the morning.  I finally worked up the courage to look over the edge of my bed.  I was so grateful when that two year period was over - I slept much better once she stayed in her bed!
 
~I don't think we have ever had someone get up and shower in their sleep, but I've heard stories like that! 
 
~And, I guess if I am going to share those stories, I need to share one of my own.  I don't think I ever sleep walked (slept walked? slept walk?) but I vividly remember waking up at, like, 2 in the morning, craving wedding cake of all things.  I had to settle for hot chocolate instead.  I remember heating up the water in the microwave and thinking, the buttons are so loud!  Trust me, an empty kitchen at 2 in the morning will make every sound loud enough to wake the dead.  After my adventure trying to muffle the microwave and drink my hot cocoa as fast I could AND get down the stairs and through the dark and scary basement without the hot cocoa monsters grabbing me, I was still craving wedding cake.  I think it would've been better had I been sleep walking.  At least when you are dreaming, you think you are eating.  Or is that just me ....


 
 
Don't you want to add your own story to this list? :)  Why not make these - sleep walking while baking is optional.
 
The Easiest and Best Sopapilla Cheesecake
Recipe Source: All Recipes
Yield: 16-24 servings
 
2 packages refrigerated crescent rolls
2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese (I used low fat)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup cinnamon and sugar
 
Preheat oven to 350.
Press one package of crescent rolls into a 9x13 pan, making sure it is evenly pressed over the entire pan.
Beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla together.
Spread over crescent rolls.
Take second package of crescent rolls and separate the crescent rolls.  You are going to press them over the cheesecake layer to create a layer that completely covers the filling.  We press them together and out on a cutting board before placing over filling, but do whatever works.
Melt butter and pour over second crescent roll layer.
Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over the butter.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Eat warm (it will be a hot mess!) or let cool and chill for several hours before serving.  I prefer the chilled version so I store mine in the fridge, but the boys like it room temp.  Once again, personal preference.
 

19 comments:

  1. OMG this looks divine!! I am definitely saving your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a unique recipe- these cheesecake bars look absolutely delicious and I loved that you used crescent rolls. I have never seen that before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mary Frances, I love creamy and cheesy and make it for dessert! These sounds delicious and easy.
    Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG this looks absolutely incredible. Like I could have 5 of those bars in a row!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! THis looks delicious!! YUM! Thanks for sharing Mary Frances!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha such a fun post Mary! I'm not one to sleepwalk, but I am definitely super chatty when I'm asleep ;--)
    These bars look amazing! And they're so easy to make too. What's not to love??

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely one of my most favorite dishes. Your photo is amazing. And I'm with you, I prefer these chilled. They are so good when they are cold, right out of the fridge. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had absolutely no idea what a sopapilla cheesecake was before now, but omigosh… you're killing me over here! These look incredible, Mary Frances, and I love how day they are! I'm normally not a huge fan of cheesecakes, but the crescent roll dough is definitely winning me over in these. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Easiest and best? This sounds like a treat of a cheesecake! Wishing I had a big piece right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure I can down 5 of these before looking up or waking up :O What a unique recipe. I love creamy and cheesy desserts!! Thanks for sharing. PS: Oh my gosh...you have an exciting house at night :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your stories made me laugh! I can't imagine how scared your parents were when they left the house. OMG!

    These cheesecake bars - YES!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still sleep walk!!!!! Though none of my stories are as funny as yours ;) I also read my emails and texts in my sleep and then totally forget to respond because well, I read them in my sleep!!!

    Your house sounds fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my word! How yummy do those look!! :D :D :D I am grinning ear to ear just looking at them.

    I have never sleep-walked...slept-walked - I don't know the right tense here :P Forgive me it has been a loooong day and I think I'm getting cabin fever from all this snow. I digress. However, I have been known to sleep talk...when I was younger anyway...sheesh I hope I still don't...my word O.O

    Are you familiar with an old b&w show called 'The Honeymooners'?? If not, youtube it. Specifically, the Lulu episode. You'll know why I suggested it once you do ;)

    Stay warm and stay safe in this weather...and keep baking Mary Frances! I can't wait to see what's next!

    Toodles,
    Tammy<3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to sleep walk when I was younger and it was crazy…so did my sister. Now my son does sometimes! It totally runs in the family. haha This cheesecake looks mighty good, and someone might just "sleepwalk" to the kitchen for a piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your stories-oh my goodness!! :) So crazy! And can I just say, I'd like a plate of this deliciousness right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My gosh use to make these all the time growing up, they are seriously amazing! Great pics girl! :)

    Krista @ Joyful Healthy Eats

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just wondering ..where does the egg come into the recipe as it`s not in the ingredients??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good catch Anna! There is no egg in the recipe; only vanilla. That is my bad, it is edited now!

      Delete
  18. They look yummy, I love the look of that soft interior. Thanks for linking up at Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Your comments make my day!

DMCA.com Protection