January 30, 2014

Fudgy & Skinny Red Velvet Brownies

Pin It!
Soooo, I just watched Frozen.

And now I'm listening to "Let It Go" and pinning pictures of Olaf every five minutes. 

(Wait, did I just say that out loud?)

I'll spare you my praises for the characters and plot line because really, just go watch it and save us all the trouble. But, I will say, I loved that Frozen realistically showed true love. Ana thought it was at first sight, but it couldn't be. It just can't happen. And I love that, finally, Disney reflected reality, but not as a kill joy, but as a teacher and motivator. Ana learned (among other things) that true love requres sacrifice and energy and time. 

(And now I'll stop - no spoilers)

 
Valentines Day is in two weeks and to be honest, I've never celebrated the holiday. (Feel free to speculate as to why …)  But my Dad always gets my mom a box of chocolates and roses, whether he is here at home or across the country on business.  It might be an inconvenience, but he doesn't act like it. Or, when he spends the night at hotels, they let him choose a water, or a trail mix, or whatever, to make your stay "the best it can be."  My dad doesn't like chocolate, but he always chooses the Toblerone and brings it home for Mom.  That's love.  I think, at least in my age group, love can get down played, especially in dating and especially during Valentine's.  Love requres sacrifice. Energy. Time. Not hand holding or flower buying. It's putting someone else before yourself and I'm grateful my parents have been an example of that. 

And, I love that Disney is beginning to promote that truth as well. Ana thought she knew who her true love was, because it was "love at first sight."  Guys, these brownies were love at first sight.  But they weren't love at first taste. I  told a friend how bummed I was because the texture was great, the color was what I wanted, but the flavor just wasn't … sweet, and brownies are supposed to be sweet. The original recipe had called for all honey as it's sweetener, and although I was hesitant, I did it. I was regretting it after my first bite. I wasn't going to blog these. I was going to redo them. But before that could happen, we had to finish the first pan. So, a day after making them, I cut myself a piece from the nearly untouched pan and flinched as I took a bite. But then, I realized, this tastes like a brownie!  This tastes good, like, really good!

 
These brownies are no light weights.  They are moist and thick and dense - and chocolatey sweet.  They're delicious!  But, they need time.  Don't eat them right out of the oven.  Give the yogurt and the cocoa and the honey a day to meet each other and like each other and trust me, these brownies will be your new love.

Even though these need time, they don't need sacrifice or energy.  They are only one bowl and have healthy ingredients that are easy to find!  Greek yogurt provides all the "fat" and adds most of the body and moisture.  These are also completely whole wheat!  Whole wheat things are supposed to be painfully heavy and dry.  Not these; thanks to the yogurt and honey, these are heavy, but in the fudgiest way possible.  Also, I only used a teaspoon of red food coloring, because that was all we had :) and they turned out somewhat red.  If you want a deeper color, just add more food coloring.  Whatever the shade, these brownies win top award!


 
Between Frozen and these brownies, I was reminded that real friendships need time and that basing my opinions on someone after just meeting them isn't the wisest idea, nor the most accurate.  It is hard for me to not judge someone based on their hair or one word they said in a conversation.  I need to give people time.  Their true colors will show eventually, they always do (ahem, Frozen) and then I can decide whether they are real friends or not.  Honestly, after I get to know someone, I usually have to take back my first opinion. 
 
Thank goodness these brownies don't need several weeks or even years to decide whether or not they are good!


Fudgy and Skinny Red Velvet Brownies
Recipe Source: Adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction
Yield: 12-16 servings
Heaping 1 cup plain yogurt (greek or regular, nonfat or low fat) 
1 egg + 1 egg white 
1/2 cup milk ( I used low fat)
2/3 cup honey
3/4 cup whole wheat flour 
3/4 cup cocoa powder 
1-1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon red food coloring
2/3 cup dark chocolate chips (use sugar free chocolate chips to keep these refined sugar free)

Preheat oven to 350.
Whisk yogurt, egg and egg white, milk, and honey together. 
Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.  Stir well.
Add red food coloring and stir until all the food coloring is incorporated.  (Add more if you want a deeper red.  But be careful; a little goes a long ways!)
Stir in chocolate chips.
Bake for 40-45 minutes.
Let cool and sit overnight. 
Enjoy!

28 comments:

  1. Mary Frances I saw Frozen a few weeks ago and I loved it too. It was all over my Facebook page for days lol but I was just impressed how Disney finally got the true meaning of love and not just romantic but also family. Let it go is already on my iPod hehe :). Oh you are so right it's the sacrifices, little things and putting yourself after your loved ones that shows true love. Ok I'll get to the brownies now. I love the color and just how decadent they look. So glad you gave it another try after a while!! They look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I love that - love is family, not romance. You nailed it! Oh, and Let it go is on my iPod, too:) Thanks Zainab!

      Delete
  2. I think it's time for me to jump on the bandwagon and see Frozen! I just never have time! But I should make some as a valentine's present to myself, right? ;) Loving these brownies! Your lighting is awesome! And their color is wonderful. Greek yogurt = my best friend so I'm totally digging these. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! But I split it between a night and the next morning ;) Yes, a perfect Valentine's Day - Frozen and greek yogurt brownies! Thanks Erin!

      Delete
  3. The texture of these looks amazing! Love at first peek, that's for sure. :) And you are about the billionth person to recommend Frozen, so I may have to lift my self-imposed movie ban and go see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't watch very many movies, but this one was worth the two hours. Haha, love at first peek, I'm going to have to use that one in the future! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I'm so happy to find a "skinny" recipe that doesn't use any ingredients that are hard to find where I live. Thank you! I'll make these for a dinner party tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them! I know; so many skinny recipes call for ingredients I can only get on online or something like that. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Frozen was amazing!! My sister's birthday is on Tuesday and her surprise cake is going to feature a certain character you mentioned...shhh, don't tell! ;) He is definitely a favorite for many people...he is so likeable!
    Those brownies look so delicious. The texture looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frozen was amazing!! My sister's birthday is on Tuesday and her surprise cake is going to feature a certain character you mentioned...shhh, don't tell! ;) He is definitely a favorite for many people...he is so likeable!
    Those brownies look so delicious. The texture looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to comment twice!

      Delete
    2. Haha, no problem :)

      Happy Birthday to your sister! A certain character :) .... she will love it! Thanks Jenn!

      Delete
  7. I still haven't seen Frozen!!! I need to; I've heard such rave reviews! And these brownies look A-mazing. I've been craving dense, chocolate-y things lately and red velvet just puts these over the top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dense, chocolate-y things are on my mind every couple hours! :) Thanks Erika! I hope you watch Frozen; it really was great and I don't want movies very often.

      Delete
  8. I LOVE fudgy brownies and these look so good! I'm taking my 4 1/2 yr old daughter to see Frozen this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Oh, I bet she will love it. That will be a fun mother/daughter date!

      Delete
  9. I think my boyfriend would LOVE this recipe. I'll pin it for Valentine's Day!
    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing and commenting! Hope you had a good Friday, too!

      Delete
  10. They look so fudgy, soft and delicious Mary Frances! I find that a lot of my baked goods taste better the next day. I'd love to know the science behind it. That's real sweet of your Dad! My mom is a Toblerone lover too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be really interesting, too! I bet it is more than the "cocoa and honey have to get to know each other!" haha. Thanks Reeni!

      Delete
  11. Dear Mary Frances, I am very happy that you have a wonderful example in life from your mom and dad.
    That is a true blessing. You also seem to understand the meaning of love. Keep your sure footing and be steadfast always.
    These certainly look real good even if they are not love at first bite. lol
    Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steadfastness is a huge part of real love. It is really special to have it lived out for me through my parents! Thank you Catherine!

      Delete
  12. I can't wait to watch Frozen! It looks so cute.
    These are some of my favorite photos ever from you...gorgeous! Not to mention they look amazingly delicious!! :)
    Tina at www.tinaschic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really cute. I don't watch a lot of movies, but I really enjoyed Frozen!
      Aw thanks! That means a lot, Tina!

      Delete
  13. I need to watch Frozen soon too. It sounds like a lovely film indeed!
    These brownies look fantastic, and the ingredient list sounds amazing to me! Yay for greek yogurt and honey, I'm sure they make these brownies so moist. I don't think I'd be able to wait for them though haha ;---)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful film! Haha, I had a hard time, too ;)

      Delete
  14. Oh my gosh, look how fudgy those are! I made some very similar the other week and I could've eaten them all. I'm featuring these as one of my favourite on Sweet and Savoury Sundays, stop by to grab a button and link up again this weekend! Pinning too and subscribing to your blog. Thanks for sharing such a decadent recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Your comments make my day!

DMCA.com Protection