August 9, 2013

Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream

Pin It!
You know how I said you would be the new 31 flavors?  Liz from Sugar Hero asked me where the other 30 flavors are:)  I asked myself, seriously, where are they?!



I know I won't make 30 other ice cream batches this summer, but I'm a little obsessed with making my own. The trial run not only gave me confidence, it gave me a taste for homemade ice cream.  I made vanilla last time and did you know vanilla is no longer the #1 ice cream  flavor in America?  It has been passed in favor of chocolate.  When I thought about it, I would probably choose vanilla over chocolate because I want my chocolate in crazy quantities. Like "Triple Brownie Fudge" or "Chocolate Mocha Cheesecake."  Not just chocolate.

Now, this isn't quite as over the top as one of those, but this Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream not only is hanging with the now popular chocolate ice cream, but it also teamed up with the ever present Cookies and Cream to make a cold and creamy chocolatey delight.


You simply make the custard out of primarily eggs, milk, and sugar and the add more milk and cream to the custard and chill for a couple hours before freezing. That is it!  Seriously, how could you not like this ice cream?

Celebrate with this ice cream!  I'm so excited to have finally finished algebra. I've been working on this curriculum since 8th grade and to be done - bring on the ice cream!  So so happy to say goodbye to rationalizing denominators and exponential logarithms!

Another celebration are the birthdays coming up!  We've got five birthdays between July 28th and August 27th and there will be more cheesecakes soon!  Birthdays are such a special time of year! 

And I've gotten some kinks in my novel straightened out!  Having discussions with friends is incredibly helpful with novels. Hopefully, my synopsis will be ready soon!

But really, any time is worthy of ice cream.  What are some things you are excited about? 








Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream
Recipe Source: The Sweet {Tooth} Life. Base recipe from Rival Ice Cream Booklet. 
Yield: 2 quarts  

1-1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch 
1/4 teaspoon salt 
3 cups milk
2 eggs, beaten 
3 squares (1 oz. each) semisweet chocolate, melted 
2/3 cup more milk
1 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla 
12 Oreos, lightly crushed 

Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan. Gradually stir in 3 cups milk. Cook over medium heat until thickened (10-15 minutes)  Stir one cup of hot mixture into eggs. Return eggs back to remaining hot mixture. Cook and stir for 2 more minutes. Stir in melted chocolate and beat with a whisk until smooth. Stir in remaining 2/3 cup milk and whipping cream and chill for 2 hours. Freeze as directed. 



12 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! You really deserve the ice cream!
    And "there will be more cheesecake soon"? You've just won my heart. I really cannot wait to see them! Specially if they look as great as this ice cream. The cookies and cream flavour is one of my favourites, but this looks even better with chocolate! :--)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Cookies and cream is just AMAZING in any form - and this ice cream just put it over the top. Glad to have another cheesecake lover! My birthday is in the next couple weeks and I promise, I will have one then!

      Delete
  2. This turned out great, I don't think I would just be able to eat one serving of fit. ;) Congrats and goodbye Algebra (was also my least favorite).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't I know it! But I get to start geometry and more (yeaaah) but at least I have this ice cream:)

      Delete
  3. I'm excited for pre-season! You know, this might make a good pre-game breakfast-it probably has at least four of the macroutrients!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Milk, power food, right? :) I can only imagine everyone's faces - probably not the "cooler food" she had in mind! I like your thinking, Anna!

      Delete
  4. Yummy!!!!!! I WANT TO FIND OUR ICECREAM MAKER NOW!! <3 done with Algebra? That IS cause for celebration! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GO FIND IT NOW! :)
      Yes! So happy to be finished with algebra. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Yessss! Now just 29 more to go...

    Just kidding. :) But this does look delicious! I love chocolate ANYTHING, so of course I'm loving this double chocolate flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I should be done by Christmas;) I'm woth you, double chocolate is always welcome!

      Delete
  6. Mmmm! Oreos in ice cream, yes please! We should do a series next summer of the 31 flavors. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good to me! The more ice cream, the better!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Your comments make my day!

DMCA.com Protection