July 11, 2013

Moist Latte Coffee Cake

Pin It!
Coffee shops are foreign territory to me.




I entered the realm of coffee beans and pastries and overpriced drinks at Starbucks for the first time ever last week.  Who would've thought you could make coffee the bazillion different ways they offer it?  I mean, does anyone just drink coffee with a little sugar anymore?  Not at Starbucks, that's for sure.  True, it's a wonderful place to go talk, but I think I'd rather go on a walk with someone than spend almost five bucks on a cup of coffee. Just sayin'.


I had to do some research before I named this coffee cake. Mocha?  Latte?  Frappechino?  I finally concluded it was latte, since there is milk and no chocolate. Coffee connoisseurs, please correct me if I am wrong. And if I am, don't let it stop you from making this!  This coffee cake is amazing. The recipe is from Simple and Delicious and I actually made exactly as written except for the addition of yogurt.  The combination of applesauce, butter, and yogurt makes this very moist.  I wanted to make sure it wasn't at all dry.  And the coffee flavor is strong!  There is no lack of it, but it isn't at all bitter or overpowering.


See those lighter swirls on top?  That, my friends, is a coffee crumble. Just to take it to the next level, there is a buttery crumble sprinkled over the batter before baking which adds to the moisture and tenderness. Those little dots are almost better than the cake itself. Almost. How can you beat a latte coffee cake full of rich, sweet coffee flavor?  That's right ... you can't!  

All those conversations over coffee?  This is like a comforting mug of a hot latte in a cake. 

Latte Coffee Cake
Recipe Source: Adapted from Simple and Delicious
Yield: 6-8 slices of cake and 3-6 muffins

Cake:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs 
1 tablespoon plain greek yogurt 
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup buttermilk*
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup whole wheat or white whole wheat flour
1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt 

Crumble:
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon coffee granules 
1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into 1 inch cubes 

Preheat oven to 375. Grease and flour a 10 in. cake pan and line 5 muffin tins. 

For the cake:  In a large bowl beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly. Add eggs, yogurt, and applesauce and beat well. Whisk buttermilk, coffee, coffee granules, and vanilla until granules are dissolved. Add to butter mixture and stir. 

Whisk flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add to butter mixture and stir until just moistened. Fill the cake pan almost 2/3 full and divide remaining batter between muffin tins. 

For the crumble: Cut butter into flour, granules, and sugar until crumbly. 

Sprinkle crumble over cake and muffins. 

Bake cake for 25-30 minutes or until edges are browned and toothpick inserted comes put clean. Bake muffins for 15-20 minutes or until edges are browned and toothpick inserted comes out clean. 

Enjoy!

*If you don't have buttermilk, you can add one tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice to one cup of regular milk and stir, letting sit for about five minutes before using.  In this recipe, just use 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar to a half cup milk.  I used 2% milk.

More cakes:

Toffee Crunch Pound Cake


Pumpkin Carrot Cake



Oreo Layer Cake (easy)

11 comments:

  1. Ooooh, this looks so good! Did you make up the coffee crumble, or was it part of the recipe from Simple and Delicious? Cuz it sounds amazing, and so creative! I've never heard of one before! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crumble was my idea. They used pecans in the magazine, but my family isn't a fan of nuts, so I thought butter and sugar would win them over. It did:)

      Delete
    2. I knew it!!! You are so creative!

      Delete
  2. That's a GREAT idea, and I have some family members that would absolutely adore this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chloe! I had some siblings who adored it! (Well, I adored it, too!)

      Delete
  3. I love coffee cake, and this one looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Bethany, coffee cakes are really good. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. This one looks so good! Coffee flavoured desserts are my favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gaby! I know, coffee can be addictive, especially in ice cream!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Your comments make my day!

DMCA.com Protection