June 12, 2013

Skinny White Chocolate and Blueberry Milkshake

Pin It!
Milkshakes are one of my favorite parts of summer.  Something about the cold and smooth drink makes me want more and more.  Their easiness to make doesn't favor moderaton at all.

But now easy is a good thing!  Becuase this milkshake is actually good for you!  And isn't pretty?



I wasn't feeling as gorgeous as this milkshake a couple days ago.  I wear contacts and for the first time ever, my eyes had been really bothering me. Since our trip, my right contact was constantly dry and sitting funny in my eye. Then, my left eye becomes red and bloodshot. So I had one eye that looked infected but didn't hurt and then another that looked fine, but hurt like crazy!  

My eye doctor gave me this new, involved cleaning system thingie and told me to limit my contact use. So for the past coupe days, I've been wearing my glasses. The thing about my glasses is that I bought them almost six years ago. They don't fit the way now that they did then!  Glasses are already more limited in vision than contacts, but mines are especially limited and I'm constantly cocking my head to weird angles to see things. 

So, I often take them off while listening to music or school readings. Now you have to understand, I have horrible vision. I mean, horrible. I NEED something to correct my eyes at all times I order to see. 



You know what realized when I wasn't wearing my glasses?  My vision was limited to a couple feet in front if me and  I was only concerned with what I could see.  It almost became like my own little world. 

The problem with that is, if I couldn't tell what someone's facial expression was while talking, why listen and try to discern if they were hurt or unhappy. I couldn't tell, so why bother. Or if my siblings were arguing about toys across the room, there was no need to offer to mediate, because I couldn't see what was going on, thus it didn't affect me.

Sometimes I wonder if I have another pair of glasses I can choose to put on. Ones that let me see the insecurity behind someone's actions. Ones that open my eyes to problems and hurt. Those aren't fun to wear, but I can't bless others when all I'm willing to see is what I want to. God calls us to share His love! I realized He has "glasses" He wants me to put on each day, ones of honesty, compassion, and humility.  


I was definitely challenged to expand my own little world. You may not guess it, but this milkshake was actually one of the ways I did that. You know how?

I don't like white chocolate.

I think it was because I first had it expecting it to live up to its name: chocolate. It didn't!  (It really isn't chocolate because there is no cocoa in it.  I guess the name "butter n' sugar wouldn't have flown as well.)  Also, I find it too sweet at times. 

However! This milkshake is amazing.  I actually liked the white chocolate flavor because it wasn't overpowering. Subtle, but in every slurp sip. 

And it is pretty darn healthy!  It's base is frozen bananas which in case you were wondering, doesn't taste like bananas. When foods are cold, our taste buds have a harder time tasting them. Between the milk and the vanilla AND the fact that frozen bananas seriously taste like ice cream, you don't have to worry about banana flavor. And since this has blueberries and bananas, you can treat yourself to a little "butter n' sugar."  It really  makes this special. Simple, healthy and no bake (duh, I know, but in this weather, a total plus!) makea this a wonderful summer treat!

 


Skinny White Chocolate and Blueberry Milkshake  
Recipe Source: The Sweet Tooth Life. Adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction
Yield: 2 servings 

 2 small bananas, mashed slightly and frozen 
1 tablespoon white chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla 
1/3 cup milk 
1/2 cup blueberries 

Optional: blueberries and white chocolate chips for garnish. 

Melt white chocolate chips and set aside.    In a blender, blend bananas, vanilla, and milk until smooth. Add white chocolate and blend again. 

Divide between two parfait glasses. 

Purée blueberries until smooth and swirl through banana mixture. Sprinkle with white chocolate chips and blueberries , if desired. 

More cold drinks for hot weather?  Check out my creamy strawberry lemonade smoothie!  

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! It was so good, I ate both servings in one sitting:)

      Delete
  2. ^ Ditto!!!! Woah, I would have NEVER thought of that combination! And your thoughts are so good....:) :) Convicting, but good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chloe! I was going to do raspberry, but everyone does raspberry! You are such an encouraging friend.

      Delete
  3. Did you say skinny and chocolate in the same sentence? I'm in! Good on you for trying something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kaz! It was something new and I did enjoy it - the saying "try it, you might like it!" comes to mind:) I have more white chocolate recipes coming up because I had to get rid of the rest of the bag!

      Delete
  4. I think these look good I love white chocolate,(banana and blueberries not so much). Might try with strawberries though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I bet it would taste amazing with strawberries! And it would be so pretty too. Even if you don't like bananas, you don't taste them here!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Your comments make my day!

DMCA.com Protection