November 19, 2012

Thanksgiving . . . Is It Cheated?

Pin It!
Thanksgiving is part of my favorite time of the year.  From September to November, I am in heaven.  I love the weather, I love the colors, I love the smells.  And Thanksgiving is all about those things.  Cool breezes, trees bursting with color and pumpkin and cinnamon.  Oh, I love it!

But . . . it seems as if Thanksgiving doesn't get very much publicity.  And when it does, like most of American holidays, it is for the wrong reasons.  I mean, Thanksgiving isn't even here yet and wreathes are being sold and Christmas lights are going up.  Yes, we have a short window of opportunity to prepare before Christmas, but I think we lose Thanksgiving.  I know I do.  In my mind, it's a time to get together, eat food, maybe make a list of things I'm thankful for, and then get ready for Christmas.  I forget the "thank" part of Thanksgiving.  And then there is the "giving" part, but I'll write on that later.

As Christians, what should Thanksgiving be about?  Honestly, we should be giving thanks to God every day!  There are definitely daily disappointments concerning family, money, politics, etc.  But look at 2 Chronicles 16:24 - "Give thanks to the Lord for He is good, His love endures forever."  That's worth being thankful about.  Who else's love never ends?  There are many other verses about thankfulness for God's love, protection, grace, and healing.  But 1 Corinthians 15:56-57 says, "The sting of death is sin and the power of sin is the law.  Thanks be to God!  He gives us victory through our Lord Jesus Christ!"

Amen!

So as I approach this Thanksgiving, it should serve as a reminder to not let the thankful attitude die on November 23rd, but to continue it year round.  Because I have something more than turkey to celebrate.  I have the power over death.  And that is something to be thankful for.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, what an amazing truth for which we must praise and thank Him! My dad often says that Thanksgiving is the most biblical holiday because we are commanded throughout God's Word to be thankful to Him!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Your comments make my day!

DMCA.com Protection