March 13, 2014

Healthy Reeses Fudge

Pin It!
It's Thursday and I need some motivation to finish the week out!  Are you in the same boat?

How does a Reeses sounds?

How does a HEALTHY Reeses sound?  Now we are getting somewhere, eh? ;)

 
Did you know I didn't like peanut butter for the first 11-12 years of my life?  I think it was from one too many peanut butter sandwiches  (I also don't like grape jelly.  Never have, never will as far as I'm concerned.)
 
So, since I didn't like peanut butter, I obviously didn't like Reeses.  I began playing volleyball my 7th grade year and in junior high, we did a thing called "secret sisters."  You got a girl on the volleyball team and you secretly encouraged her with small gifts and notes throughout the year.  It was really fun!  Well, my secret sister (hi Anna M.!) chose Reeses as her favorite candy (we all filled out a questionnaire so as to be accurate with our gifts) and so I went out and bought one of those eight packs at Wal-Mart.  After a couple games, and giving her three or four of them, I still had half the container in my dresser.  One morning, I was hungry, and was like, hey, I'll try one of these!
 
Oh.my.gosh.  Love at first bite.
 
(I still love anything that involves peanut butter being mixed with sugar.  Sweetened peanut butter is the bomb.)
 
I then ate the remaining four Reeses.  Yes, I ate all of my secret sister's candy.  Now that I say that out loud, it sounds bad.  I wish I had been introduced to Reeses in an admirable way.  Unless you eat this  Reeses, your friend will die!  It is your choice!
 
Er, no, we'll just stick with the real story.

 
 
Notes:  The chocolate topping is dairy free and only needs three ingredients!  The coconut oil solidifies at cold temperatures, so you cannot sub another oil for it.  Oh, and this does have sugar in it, but there is only a heaping 1/2 cup for 12 servings.  I think that is pretty good!  The graham cracker crumbs may be subbed for GF graham cracker crumbs, if you want.  Finally, healthy doesn't mean low calorie. :)
 
This has a stronger peanut butter flavor than a normal Reeses, but other than that, the texture and flavor are spot on!
 
Healthy Reeses Fudge
Recipe Source: The Sweet {Tooth} Life
Yield: 16 pieces
 
Peanut Butter Fudge:
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2/3 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup powdered sugar
 
Chocolate Topping:
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
 
Line a 9x9 pan with foil.  Lightly grease foil and set aside.
For the peanut butter fudge: Melt the coconut oil in a medium sized microwave safe bowl.
Stir in peanut butter and vanilla.
Add graham cracker crumbs and powdered sugar.
Stir until combined (mixture will be a little grainy, that is ok)
Spread into prepared pan.  Set aside.
For the chocolate topping: melt coconut oil.
Add cocoa powder and powdered sugar.  Whisk until smooth.
Pour over peanut butter fudge, spreading if necessary.
Freeze for a couple hours before serving.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. These are SO good, I don't even know where to start explaining how much I love them... and they really are exactly like Reeses! Perfect for my peanut butter cravings ;) Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Your comments make my day!

DMCA.com Protection