October 14, 2013

Low Fat Peanut Butter

Pin It!
I KNOW some of my friends are going to start worrying about me. 

Don't.  I'm not supporting low fat diets or cutting out healthy fats.  No.

I'm just having way too much experimenting and playing around with my Ninja. Okay?  Just playing mad scientist since its Halloween and all! (actually, I can't stand Halloween ... I'm such a party crasher, I know!)


I was afraid it wouldn't taste like peanut butter.  There are a lot of peanut butter cookie dough recipes that look like this, so I was curious as to how it tasted.  I thought it tasted great, but the real test came at lunch. Stephen has made a batch of eggless cookie dough and had it in the fridge. Luke was getting it out for dessert, but accidentally got out my peanut butter. He tried some, thinking it was Stephen's cookie dough and made a face. "This tastes just like plain peanut butter, Stephen!"

Confession time.  "That's mine!"

"Oh," he puts the lid on and nods. "That explains it."

Yeah. Mad scientist. 

This stuff is awesome. I eat it by itself, spread on apples, pita chips (yes, I'm weird. It's official) and on a sandwich I'll post tomorrow. That's really good, too.  Don't worry, I haven't baked with it and don't plan on it.  I won't abandon good 'ole Jif for all my baking needs!  This peanut butter is incredible for snacking.  You can trust me on this one, even if I don't like Halloween (except for the mini Snicker's Bars!!!) and put it on my pita chips.

Low Fat Peanut Butter
Recipe Source: The Sweet {Tooth} Life

1 can chickpeas
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup honey
1-2 tablespoons milk

Blend all the ingredients in a food processor.  Store in the refrigerator.


P.S.  I had a really hard time titling this post, because its not homemade peanut butter nor is it cookie dough. If you have a better title, let me know because this was all I could come up with. 

20 comments:

  1. *gasp* You used GARBANZO BEANS :) Add chocolate chips and call it chocolate chip cookie dough dessert hummus ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *GASP* I did! I considered calling it peanut butter hummus ... :)

      Delete
  2. Chick peas! I never would have guessed! I'm with Bethany - I thought that was only used for hummus! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, Bethany would be the first to tell you its not just for hummus! :) Thanks Mrs. Mann!

      Delete
  3. So you don't celebrate Halloween? My family doesn't either. I might offend some people when I say this but I believe Halloween is a very evil holiday. Its cool that you made your own peanut butter. Me and my mom are the same way with our new emersion blender:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our church always celebrates Halloween with a Harvest Fest where we play games to get candy. Its really fun. Haha, I think I would be the same way with an immersion blender, too!

      Delete
  4. This is so awesome! Glad you're having fun playing around with your ninja :) I'm not afraid of some healthy fats but I all about getting in some added bean protein with my PB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to try this as a peanut butter fan and can't wait! I never made my own peanut butter, but it's time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you made a low fat version without any of the thickeners/additives/fillers of the commercial stuff, you're a genius! I have started to make my own pb recently, and I'm so looking forward to give this a try!
    Aw, and you look super pretty in the new sidebar pic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for noticing the new pic! And kudos to you for making your own pb; I still haven't tried that. (Peanuts cost so much!) Thanks Consuelo!

      Delete
  7. Hey, just wondering, does it taste really peanut butter-y? I tried to make this once but epically failed and it turned out tasting like just weird hummus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! This does not taste as strong as plain peanut butter, but it definitely still tastes like it. It is thicker and not quite as creamy, but other than that, its a great substitute. If you're worried about a hummus-y flavor, go ahead and up the peanut butter to 3/4 cup - play around with it. If you try it, I hope you like it better than your last version!

      Delete
  8. What a great idea- I always make homemade peanut butter, and even almond butter. But I love that this uses chickpeas and is low-fat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go you Meghan! Homemade PB and almond butter - I want to hang out with you! :) Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Wow! This looks tasty! And I was reading in your about section that you believe God gives people different passions and we out to share them w. others, I could not agree more!! I am a follower of Christ and God has given me a passion for nutrition!! This has lead me to start my own health blog! :) So proud of you for using your gift w. baking and cooking as a ministry!
    Sincerely Cailee @ http://hellohealthyeating.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cailee! Thanks for your sweet comment! I can't wait to check out your blog!

      Delete
  10. Seriously?? This is such a great idea! A dessert which is between peanut butter and cookie dough. Looks so smooth and creamy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Your comments make my day!

DMCA.com Protection