August 2, 2013

Appleless Applesauce Granola Scones

Pin It!
Stephen can be my buddy in baking. We were making this coffee cake when he mentioned its filling is like apple pie filling. My mind then went to applesauce and immediately I was chopping and he was sautéing.  Unfortunately, your truly didn't seed her zucchinis well enough and the "applesauce" tasted great, however, the texture was off. I needed to use it up. Leftovers are food for the brain and I began thinking if things to put it in. Cakes? Oatmeal bars?  Scones?



Scones.  And you don't even notice the seeds.  They disappeared in these scones (well, ok, I really mean nobody noticed them:) and the flavor is just delicious.   

I hadn't done scones on a while and even though adding crunchy granola to a scone may seem odd (adding zucchini may seem even odder) you will not believe how delicious these are.  




These are pretty fall-ish, but hey, it was 65 degrees last week!  I made sure to enjoy the cool weather. I went on a run and actually enjoyed it! (never happens) and all of us kids drove our scooters and bikes through the standing water on the driveway, which was super fun. Mom banned mud (which took away our yard:( but it was fine. One muddy kid is doable. Seven is not. I get that. So we consented to just getting wet. No one skidded or slid and the worst that happened was wet grass in the mouth.  Cool, breezy, cloudy weather isn't supposed to happen during Kansas summers. I like this exception though.


These scones are an exception to the traditional scone. I'm going to be honest; they aren't flaky. Or crumbly. Scones are generally one of those two. These are however, soft, sweet, and worthy of breakfast. Not a fan of scones?  Make an exception here, ladies and gentlemen.  Weirded out by zucchini in your applesauce?  I get it. But I'm telling you, it tastes the same. I promise. You will have to make the applesauce before making the scones, but guys, it is so worth it. 

Appleless Applesauce Granola Scones
Recipe Source: The Sweet {Tooth} Life
Yield: 8 scones

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup  + 2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
3 tablespoons butter, chilled and cubed 
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt (I used nonfat)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
3/4 cup zucchini applesauce* (recipe below)
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1/2 cup oats n' honey granola (I used Cascadian Farms Organic)

Zucchini Applesauce:
1 cup water 
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar 
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 
3-1/2 cups zucchini, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 tablespoon vanilla

For the applesauce:
Combine water, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium sized pot.  Add zucchini and cook on medium heat until zucchini is soft enough mash.  Mash with a  masher or food processor until desired consistency.

For the scones:

Preheat oven to 425.

Stir together flours, sugar, salt, and cinnamon.  Cut in butter.  Add applesauce and stir.  Mixture will be crumbly.

In another bowl, whisk yogurt, powder, and soda until frothy.  Stir into flour mixture until just combined.  Add heavy cream to help bring it into a ball.  I had to use my hands.

Knead on floured surface 3-4 times and then shape into circle.  Cut into 8 wedges and place wedges on baking sheet.  Sprinkle granola on top.  Bake for 12-14 minutes or until tops are golden.  Serve warm.

Notes:  These are best if eaten within a day or two. If serving the next day, store in airtight container.  To reheat, set scones in a preheated oven (about 350) for 2-3 minutes.

*You can substitute chunky applesauce 

These were inspired by my Strawberry Yogurt Scones!

2 comments:

  1. never would have thought of making anything appleless. Did it taste good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like apples! These were sweet and soft and a huge hit with me and my family. Yes, they were so good!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Your comments make my day!

DMCA.com Protection