July 6, 2013

Salad Saturdays: Crunchy Blueberry Orange Salad

Pin It!
How are you all?!  Did you have a good 4th of July?

Our family's celebration began when dad let us all have some money to go but fireworks. Some of us (aka Nathan, Stephen, and I) pooled to get two big ones, while Luke and the girls got lots of tanks, fountains, and little artillery shells or whatever they are called. We shot them off on the 3rd because not al of us would be there on the 4th.  Stephen and I spent the fourth at the lake and Nathan and Luke spent the fifth at the lake. It worked great!






 

I've told you all about my love for tubing with Gracie. This year was no exception. Aunt Maury whipped us, tossed us, and drive us through BIG waves to our hearts content. My parents and uncle are convinced we over tubed, but I don't think there is such a thing. May they fit the idea from our finger cramps. Or our raw elbows. Or our incredibly sore and stiff arms. Or maybe our legs. Oh yes, our legs. We rubbed them raw the first day. I mean, raw. Our thighs were bright red and looked like we had chicken pox. It wasn't pretty but I didn't care. :)

We both realized, but weren't willing to admit, that our legs would be on fire the next day when we tubed. While getting bags of ice  at the little lake store that morning with my aunt, Gracie saw some long socks for sale. She immediately said, "We can cut the toes off and pull them around our legs so it won't rub."  I was a little skeptical, my uncle told us we we were rocking the oh so versatile socking look, but man oh man did they work incredibly well. They were light weight, very soft, and skin tight, like spandex. Saved our legs for sure. Because it didn't rub, it didn't hurt. That day, it was really bumpy and the whole ride, we were bumping and flying. So much fun and so much hard work!  Hanging on for dear life would be an accurate statement, but giggles/squeals (depends on who you ask) would bely any unenjoyment. You must try it at least a dozen times in your life. Gracie wished it was an Olympic sport. I agree.

And we aren't done yet!  After I hit publish, we are headed back for the last day of our 4th of July celebration!

Crunchy Blueberry Orange Salad
Recipe Source: The Sweet {Tooth} Life
Yield: 1 serving

3/4 cup chopped lettuce
1/4 cup mandarin oranges
1/4 cup blueberries
1 tablespoon slivered almonds
2-3 tablespoons chow mien noodles
Creamy balsamic vinaigrette dressing 

Toss first five ingredients together. Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately. 

2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Your comments make my day!

DMCA.com Protection