June 7, 2013

Beernana Bread Muffins

Pin It!
Okay, so my dad is in Algeria right now!  Only for business, we aren't moving or anything.  (Thank goodness.)  He called on the phone the other day and casually mentioned half way through the conversation that he has to pay several dollars a minute.  Are you kidding me?!  That, and that alone, is why I can't move there: Me and my friends have conversations that last more than an hour!  Don't even try to figure that out.

And don't try to figure why I just told you that. Or why I made this recipe and am telling you to make it. Just go for it.  Beer and bananas maaaybe might not be your first choice, but I promise you, pinky thumb elbow knee (something we kids made up a while ago) that you will love these.

Okay, you migjt be wondering, what  on earth am I doing carrying around beer. Good question!   My mom bought a pack of beer to add to a crock pot, so as to keep brats and dogs warm after being cooked.  Since she only needed one for the crock pot and we don't use beer any other time, we have had three bottles just sitting in our refrigerator.  A while ago, I made plain beer bread with one of the bottles.

I'll let you in on a little secret: I love beer bread.

I mean flat out can't get enough of it.  The sweet yet almost bitter flavor the beer adds is so different.  And its bread, I mean, when do I ever turn down bread?  (Squishy sandwich bread is not bread, just saying.)  It was such a treat to have it since we normally never have beer on hand.

Then I saw this recipe in Taste of Home called Beernana Bread.  Say it out loud, it makes me laugh every time I say it.  Anyways, I knew I had to try it. It went more of the savory approach with olive oil, kosher salt, and sesame seeds, but I knew my family wouldn't like it as much, so I played around with it and yes, it was a success. John Caleb and Nathan were originally just splitting one to see if they liked it. While I was cleaning up the kitchen, they ate three in a row. "We were just splitting them," Nathan told me.  That's okay, I won't begrudge him a muffin or two when he makes me brownies AND leaves some muffins for me.


Good grief, did these turn out good!  They're pretty unique, I mean, we eat beer bread at dinner and banana bread for breakfasts or dessert. The two combined makes an irresistible and uncatagorizable recipe. 



Where do I start?  These are very chewy, but it's a good kind of chewy. They aren't rubbery even though this recipe has no oil or butter. It gets a lot of its moisture from the banana.  Another key role the banana plays is sweetness. You want ripe bananas, I mean super ripe bananas.   They make these moist, sweet, and tender.



Oh, and then we've got the glaze. This was on a whim, not because the muffins need it, but because it makes them more photogenic! :)

However, the glaze adds a lovely sweet finish to the muffin and even more of that beer flavor. Honestly, the banana flavor is more dominant, but you still have that kick from the beer I just find amazing. 

And these are soooooo easy. No need for beaters, just a bowl and a whisk. That's it!  I do usually use a spatula when combining wet and dry ingredient, but that's because I don't like cleaning two utensils. #lazybakerproblems

Easy. Simple. Uniquely delicious. What are you waiting for? 

I don't like beer. But I adore it in these muffins. And I know (pinky thumb elbow knee!)  you will to. 


Beernana Bread Muffins
Recipe Source: The Sweet {Tooth} Life.  Inspired by Taste of Home.
Yield: 10 muffins

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup quick cooking oats
1-3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup mashed banana (2 small very ripe ones)
6 oz. light beer

Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2-1 tablespoon wheat beer

For muffins: 

Preheat oven to 375. Grease a muffin tin. 

Whisk sugar, vanilla, banana and beer in a large bowl. Combine flours, oats, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a small bowl and add to large bowl, stirring until just combined. 

Divide between 10 muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Bake for 14-17 minutes or until tops are slightly browned. 

For glaze: Whisk powdered sugar and beer until smooth. Drizzle over muffins. 

2 comments:

  1. Not one person in my house is a beer fan, but I wonder if I will get away with making these! They look too good to pass up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will! No one in my family likes beer either, but these were a hit! Note: Eat within two days or the beer begins to have an unpleasant flavor!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Your comments make my day!

DMCA.com Protection