May 6, 2013

Marshmallow Cheescake Swirled S'mores Brownies

Pin It!
Gooey ooey s'mores always make me think of one 4th of July several years ago when me and Gracie roasted marshmallows in front of my grandparent's enclosed fireplace.  We sat on their deck, watching lone boaters circle the lake with the sun setting in the background.  Okay, our aunts and uncles were and they thought it was gorgeous.  We would've too, however, our attention was more focused on achieving the perfect golden marshmallow and the perfect cracked graham cracker and the perfect melty chocolate.

Perfect . . . riiiiiight.

Those graham crackers never cracked right, instead they were crooked or in a billion crumbs.  The chocolate was the same way, funky shapes and such.  And the marshamallows?  Really, has anyone ever achieved "the perfect marshmallow?"  I want to meet you and to have you give me lessons.  If you say that you have to patiently turn that marshmallow a few turns every couple minutes and be x amount of inches from the smoking coals, then I've changed my mind. I've heard it works . . . but patience and food don't work well in my vocabulary. There should be an easier way to roasting marshallows than burning your hand before the marshmallow.  Or having it turn from white to black in a blink of an eye.  Bam! Sweet charcoal . . . bon appetite.

A marshmallow on fire is pretty cool though and it doesn't taste that bad.  In fact, its kind of a tradition to have charred marshmallows.  (A.k.a an excuse to make up for the elusive perfect marshmallow.)


Buuuut what if I told you there is a way to avoid having to perfect the marshmallow?  That you can crush those graham crackers to your heart's content?   Aaaand that the chocolate - is brownie?

Oh yes, now we are talking.  And patience isn't part of the conversation.  Nor burned fingers.  But I digress.

Say hello to Marshmallow Cheesecake S'mores Brownies.


We're gonna make easy homemade brownies that take, like, 10 minutes to whip up and spread the batter in a pan.  And then we are going to make marshmallow cheesecake.  Cheesecake, guys, and it has marshmallows in it . . . happy yet?  We are just getting started.



Mix marshmallow creme with a block of cream cheese (we always use low fat, FYI) and an egg and spread or swirl that on the brownie batter.  It doesn't really matter . . . I tried swirling it and it didn't work, so just spreading it on there will look just as good as swirling it.


Just before it is done baking and the cheesecake layer is still soft (this is important!) you'll sprinkle your graham cracker crumbles on top.  (If the cheesecake isn't soft, then you'll have to smash the graham cracker into the cheesecake.  Trust me, it doesn't work quite as well.)  Then throw as many chocolate chips as you think perfect and bake for 5ish more minutes.

S'mores.  Brownies.    Cracked and broken graham crackers.  Marshmallow Cheesecake.

 Perfect.

Marshmallow Cheesecake Swirled S'mores Brownies
Recipe Source: Adapted from Crazy for Crust (I would've made it the way she has it written, but I didn't have enough graham cracker crumbs.)

Brownie Layer:
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

For the Marshmallow Cheesecake
1 egg
1 jar marshmallow creme
8 oz. cream cheese, softened

4 graham crackers
12 oz. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease 9x13 pan.
 
For the brownies: Stir together flour, powder, and salt.  Melt butter and chocolate and stir until smooth. Let cool for a couple minutes and add sugar, eggs, and vanilla.  Stir flour mixture into chocolate mixture.  Spread into prepared pan.

For the marshmallow cheesecake:  Whisk egg.  Stir in marshmallow creme and cream cheese.  Spread/swirl in brownie layer.

Bake for 35 minutes. 

Take out and sprinkle graham crackers and chocolate chips on top.  Put back in oven and bake for 5 more minutes.  Let cool before cutting.



4 comments:

  1. Mary Frances - how funny that we both posted s'more/marshmallow/brownie recipes! These brownies look so good. As you know, I love s'mores and brownies together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was funny too, but I have to admit, yours topped mine! Those marshmallows on your brownie pie - give me a slice (or three!)

      Delete
  2. The name alone made my mouth water! I will definitely be making these soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn! I'm not the hugest fan of marshmallow, but in s'mores anything, I can't resist;)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Your comments make my day!

DMCA.com Protection